Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Loves I'll Fly Away & She's Come Undone

Via
Frosty Paws
http://frostypaws3.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Last night I went to see Wally Lamb speak about his new book, I'll Fly Away. Actually, it's not fair to say his book; the book is a collection of stories written by women in York Prison, where he is a teacher. Four women came to read their stories, and in a couple cases, stories by women who are still imprisoned. Two women were there whose mother is still incarcerated at York, and they read a part of her story, and gave their thoughts about having a mother in prison. Let me tell you, all of these women were brave. There is no way I could've gone up there and told an audience some of the things they told us. One of the women, Barbara Parsons, shared pieces of her story that came out in the first book of prison writings, Couldn't Keep it to Myself, and then some. Whenever I have to speak in front of a class or present something, all I'll have to do now is think about those women and how brave they were to share those things, because it was definitely not easy for any of them to do that.

And it was really awesome to see Wally Lamb, because he wrote one of my absolute favorite books EVER, She's Come Undone. Whenever I read that book, I want to just stop and start at the beginning again. I can't even count how many times I've read it. I am such a huge nerd,but I just looove the character so much.

No comments: