Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Friend Asks: What Happens When There Are No Newspapers of Value?


And Answers:
Newspeople, Stand Up and Protest!



Inspired by
Ed Stein, Cartoonist,
Rocky Mountain News


This cartoon may seem a bit self-serving, given the recent news about this newspaper. I'm most likely to be unemployed fairly soon, no longer doing the job I love. In the week following the announcement that the Rocky is for sale, the Miami Herald was put up for sale, the Tribune Company filed for bankruptcy and the New York Times announced it was borrowing millions against its new building. As worried as I am about my own fate, I'm more worried about an America with a severely weakened newspaper industry. There's a reason the First Amendment gives special treatment to the press. We're the watchdogs of a free society.

  • Link To Cartoon, Full Text, Comments
  • No comments: