Monday, August 17, 2009

'stories about any of the top 100 advertisers have to be approved by top editors'


Via
WATCHDOG NATION


America loses Watchdog columnist
By DAVE LIEBER

One of my comrades on the journalism battlefield has fallen, and anyone who cares about fighting the bad guys should take note.

George Gombossy, the hard-charging Watchdog columnist for the Hartford Courant, was fired last week because, he says, of a dispute with his editors about covering negative stories about top advertisers. His career at the paper had lasted 40 years.

“We’re on the precipice of real danger in society here,” Gombossy told me Sunday night. “This is not about me. I’m fine. I’m going to be 62 in less than a month. I can retire. That’s why I’m in a position to raise this issue.

  • Complete Article


  • Dave Lieber is The Watchdog investigative columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, a century-old newspaper which still believes strongly in watchdog journalism.

  • E&P: 'Hartford Courant' Columnist Claims Writing About Advertiser Led to Firing


  • Holy Bedbugs, RIP The Former Newspaper Known As The Hartford Courant
  • No comments: