Occasionally in a lifetime, you might get lucky enough to work on a project that can’t go wrong – no matter what.
I know this is true even with a charity that on occasion has had no money and is backed up by an organization that eludes the meaning of the word. Just ask the poor saps who are running it now.
The Connecticut Young Writers Trust, http://www.ctyoungwriterstrust.org/, began in 1998 with an off-handed comment by a guy who said, “Go start a young writers foundation – get a pro bono lawyer first.”
One of them, Candi Deschamps, will be a keynote speaker at this year’s annual celebration, scheduled June 8 at Central Connecticut State University in New Britain. The event is free and open to the public ...
2013 State Prose Champion Kathryn Fitzpatrick with novelist Alice Mattison, a keynote speaker and workshop leader.
--Bob Thiesfield photo
Jim Irwin With 2002 State Poetry Champion Emily Madsen and Bill Cibes.
-- India Blue photo
2010 State Prose Champ Sheldon Gaskell with then- CSU System Vice Chancellor Louise Feroe and auhor / MC Diane Smith
-- Bob Thiesfield photo
Novelist Wally Lamb, publisher / party planner Vince Valvo and poet Marilyn Nelson put out all the stops in 2012 fundraiser for prize money at The Hartford Club.
-- Bob Thiesfield photo
from Young Writers Chairman
CT Young Writers 2014 finalists & annual celebration
Join us on Sunday, June 8th from 1 PM to 4 PM at Torp Theater, on the campus of Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, CT 06050 [http://www.ccsu.edu] for what has been called the Oscar's for Young Writers, the 17th Annual Connecticut Young Writers Trust Awards Ceremony! Hear keynote speakers Dr. Michael White, Director of the Fairfield MFA Program, award winning multi-instrumentalist songwriter Jasmine Dreame Wagner, and former CT Young Writers Trust Award winner Candi Deschamps speak, listen to the acclaimed indie band Wise Old Moon, then welcome to stage a dozen finalists from around the state, writers age 13-18, competing for the coveted title of State Champion and a number of cash prizes. The Connecticut Young Writers Trust has given away over $215,000 in prize money since 1998. With live music and refreshments, this event is free and open to the public. For questions, please email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
More details at: [http://www.ctyoungwriterstrust.org}
Michael C White is the author of Beautiful Assassin. His previous novels include the New York Times Notable Book A Brother’s Blood and two Connecticut Book of the Year finalists, The Garden of Martyrs and Soul Catcher. He is the director of Fairfield University’s MFA program in creative writing, and lives in Connecticut.
Jasmine Dreame Wagner is the author of three collections of poems. A songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, Jasmine has performed at the CMJ Music Marathon, free103point9 Wave Farm, and the Olympia Experimental Music Festival. Jasmine is the recipient of a 2013 Artist Fellowship from the Connecticut Office of the Arts. Her multidisciplinary work has earned her awards, grants, and residencies. She currently teaches at Western Connecticut State University.
Candi Deschamps won the IMPAC-CSU Young Writers Award in 2001 for her short story "Tragedy of a David Cassidy Clone." She went on to major in English Language and Literature at Smith College, from which she was graduated magna cum laude in 2005. Since then, she has lived and worked in New York City. She served as an editorial assistant at The Hudson Review, a longstanding literary magazine, and also worked for Lincoln Center's Capital Campaign before deciding to become a teacher.
17th Annual Connecticut Young Writers Finalists -- (State Champion[s] to be named on Sunday, June 8th at CCSU)
1) Alicia Kiley, Greenwich Academy (Greenwich)
2) Matt Maguda, Rockville High School (Vernon)
3) Mallory Chabre, Rockville High School (Vernon)
4) Rhian Elizabeth Lewis Westover School (Middelbury)
5) James Gilbert, Newtown High School (Newtown)
6) Hannah Hudson, Westover School (Middelbury)
7) Gabrielle Cianciolo, Torrington High School (Torrington)
8) Jessica Conway, Jameson Wooster School (Danbury)
9) Heaven Stone, Arts at the Capitol Theater(Willimantic)
10) Kylie Kearney, Rockville High School (Vernon)
1) Anna Whalon, Killingly High School (Dayville)
2) Hannah C. Hokanson, Manchester High School(Manchester)
3) Taylor Fournier, Rockville High School (Vernon)
4) Rachel Horowitz-Benoit, Edwin O. Smith High School(Storrs)
5) Jennifer Shook, Kingswood Oxford School (West Hartford)
6) Katherine Franqueira, Immaculate High School (Danbury)
7) Samantha Sheppard, Staples High School (Westport)
8) Joan Miller, Montville High School (Oakdale)
9) Greta W. Westfall, Home Schooled (Manchester)
10) Jonathan Dowst, Manchester High School(Manchester)
11) Lulu A Hedstrom, Greenwich Academy (Greenwich)
12) Selena West, The Gilbert School (Winsted)