Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Why has teen Jane Doe been isolated in adult jail four weeks – without charges? [UPDATES include new plea to Gov. Malloy]


SHOCKING AND EXTRAORDINARY

NEW DOCUMENTS

  • DCF denies legal visit

  • Approved by DOC and Jane Doe’s lawyer

  • Statement from ACLU staff attorney David McGuire:

    We had approval from Jane Doe’s lawyer and the Department of Correction [for the legal visit]. I have never been turned away in hundreds of visits over seven years. This is extraordinary. They [DCF] are supposed to be acting in her best interests. We remain concerned that DCF has put a young lady who has not been charged in isolation.’


    --

    Statement from Andrew Doba,
    spokesman for Gov. Malloy, 4:34 p.m. 5-8-14
    "No one thinks this is a good situation. We are currently looking at other options."


    click on image of letter for better view;
    text follows

    Jane Doe pleas to Gov:
    “Don’t forget about me – I can’t take another month of this.”


    Jane Doe, the transgender teen held in adult jail without charges, has written a plea to Gov. Dannel Malloy asking to be transferred from isolation. “Don’t forget about me,” she said in the letter dated May 8, 2014. “I can’t take another month of this.”

    Gov. Malloy was in a meeting at noon today and unavailable. His communications director, Andrew Doba, was provided with a copy of the letter but did not respond immediately to a request for comment.



    TEXT OF LETTER:

    Dear Governor Malloy,

    I am writing you to let you know that today is my anniversary. I have been sitting in this prison for a month now and there is no plan to get me out. I am suffering in here. I’m having trouble sleeping and I’m not eating much. I cry in bed every night. I can’t be myself in this place. I feel forgotten and thrown away. As you probably know, these feeling are not new for me. This is the way my life has been going since I was a little kid. My lawyer says that Commissioner Katz is the only one who can fix this but when I wrote her a letter it didn’t help. She has given up on me. If you’re her boss you can do something, right? Everyone says I need to be somewhere where I can get help and Katz keeps telling everyone that she is working to get me out of here but I don’t believe her. I think this is just another one of her stories that isn’t true. I want to call her a liar but people tell me that I shouldn’t say that about someone important like her. All I know is that she has said a lot of things about me that aren’t true. She was on TV telling people I blinded someone and broke their jaw. That was a lie. She said that she never asked that I go to Manson. That was a lie. She told everyone that I should be going to that new girls program at Riverview. That was a lie. Now she is telling people she is trying to get me out of here but nothing is happening. I hear people talking and they are saying that I am going to be here till I’m 18. I am done with DCF. They just want to make up stuff about me so that everyone thinks I am some kind of wild animal. Is it Ok for them to do this? To just lie about me and throw me in prison and forget about me? If I was in charge I wouldn’t let this happen. If you’re the Governor then you are in charge of everyone who works for the state. DCF is supposed to be helping me, right? If this is helping me then I’m all set with being helped. I would be a lot better off being on my own. It seems like you’re my last chance to get out of here. Don’t forget about me. I can’t take another month of this.

    Jane Doe

    --

    More UPDATES:

  • Democracy NOW! After Abuse Under State Supervision, Transgender Connecticut Teen Held in Solitary Without Charge


  • Courant editorial: This shouldn’t happen in America


  • RALLY, Fri., May 9


  • The Georgetown report


  • DCF response to report


  • Cool Justice column
    DCF boss / ex-judge Katz has robitis bad, and that ain’t good


    *Robitis: An affliction developed by otherwise semi-normal people wearing robes: Undue deference and power go to their heads and they think they have actually become smarter since being frocked. As such, they do not countenance anything approaching viable oversight. In cases of malignant robitis, these behaviors continue even after nominal hanging up of the robe.

    Say it ain’t so, Joette.

    Say you didn’t overstate the actions of transgender teen Jane Doe and use her as a bait and switch to placate legislators who supposedly were overseeing your budget plan.

    Say you didn’t cook the numbers on top of that to establish a new maximum security jail for female delinquents and victims of abuse – including trafficking – when more therapeutic options were possible.

    Say you didn’t make less than truthful statements – repeatedly – about the state Department of Children and Families’ stated intentions to send Jane Doe to a male prison.

    Say it ain’t so.

    Joette Katz – the former state Supreme Court justice – has bemoaned, but mostly asserted her virtually regal authority as DCF commissioner. “Heavy is the head that wears the crown,” Katz told legislators who bent to her will on the $2.6 million annual appropriation to run the new maximum security facility for teen girls in Middletown. “Today I wear that crown … At the end of the day, I pulled the trigger.”

    Well, outrageous denial tinged with narcissism can only get you so far. And the funky numbers don't help ...

  • Complete column at Register Citizen


  • Also at:

  • New Haven Register


  • Middletown Press


  • From the April 8, 2014 decision by Superior Court Senior Judge Burton Kaplan:

    The original motion [by DCF] is confusing and contradictory since a female cannot be transferred to Manson [a male facility] ... She is ordered transferred to Niantic as a transgender female. She is to be held in isolation for no more than 72 hours.’

  • DOCUMENT: Judge’s order


  • Norm Pattis column: Former justice has lost her mind


  • Katz pals Neigher, Teitell respond





  • Justice for Jane Twitter

  • Justice for Jane Facebook




  • More Cool Justice -- New branding at Niantic jail via DCF: CT University for Coping Skills
  • No comments: