Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Students Should Be Seen,

Not Heard




From PrawfsBlawg
http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/


How Appealing notes an interesting new lawsuit by a high school student barred from student government for writing a personal blog post calling her school administrators "douchbags" (sic) for cancelling a school event. This is a subject near and dear to my heart: in 11th grade, I published a school newspaper column criticizing my principal's "totalitarian tendencies" (which was published only after a lo-o-o-ng negotiation session with our faculty advisor, who nevertheless ended up adding, after my "totalitarian" sentence, an additional, out-of-place more conciliatory sentence to "my" article without telling me).

(Before I get to the legal doctrine here: If you're a government official,is there any better way to prove you're a douch[e]bag than by punishing a teenager for calling you a douchbag on a blog? If I were the student, I'd be tempted to make the first named plaintiff in my case the unincorporatedassociation, "Students Against Douchebag Bureaucrats," just to make thatnomenclature a permanent addition to the web.)


  • Complete Article



  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    The scumbags on most school boards and the principals at most schools are career bureaucrats who got their jobs by kissing ass, fucking their bosses, and doing whatever else they had to do along the way. They aren't going to let anything like the U.S. Constitution stand in their way.

    Anonymous said...

    I go to school with this girl, and I'm honestly afraid to do anything at that school. The smallest things can get you in trouble there, and it even started before high school. When I was in the middle school at the same school district, I was told that I could be suspended for getting into a physical fight with another student AT HIS HOUSE. I'm not a bad kid, I'm a straight A student, involved in sports, and I feel like im a pretty personable guy...so i guess it shows that at least they're not just singling people out. I couldn't understand why I was in danger of getting punished in school for something that happened on my own time somewhere 15 minutes away from school grounds. I'm glad the girl has decided to fight back and sue the school to get her position as secretary back, it's really not fair that these administrators are going into people's houses and punishing them for something that happens within the confines of their own house. God knows I'll probably be EXPELLED for this one...