Tuesday, December 30, 2008

So Long Diane, Colin


WTIC 1080 Radio To Listeners, Advertisers:
DROP DEAD

Corporate Pukes
Piss Away Legacy,
Driving Down Value
Before Expected Sale


Smith, McEnroe Axed By Dopes

Letter From Diane To Her Friends


After 9 years on the air at WTIC-AM NewsTalk 1080, I will sign off as co-host of "Mornings with Ray and Diane" at 10am on 12/31/08.

Ten years ago when I left the world of TV news, I didn't imagine that I would find another job as enthralling, exciting and engaging. Then WTIC Newstalk 1080 came calling, and I realized that my years as a journalist in Connecticut had prepared me well to not only report on the issues facing our state, but to comment on them. The evolution from news anchor to talk show host was interesting, with my partner Ray Dunaway and WTIC's managers urging me to do what I had never done, express my opinions about the stories in the news.

People often ask how I am able to get up so early in the morning. The answer is I couldn't wait to get to work each day at WTIC.

I have worked with wonderfully talented people at WTIC, who are devoted to providing the best news coverage in the state, the best sports programming in the state, and the most interesting and compelling talk radio in the state. I have learned from each one of them, and enjoyed working side by side every morning with people like Angela Dias, Scott Gray, Joe Furey, Dana Whalen, Gerri Griswold, Joey Bourgoin and Bob Joyce.

Most of all I have enjoyed working with Ray Dunaway, who has made me laugh and made me think every single day for nine years.

This is a difficult time in the broadcasting business and in our nation's economy and I understand difficult financial decisions are being made by owners of radio stations throughout the country. WTIC General Manager Suzanne McDonald and Operations Manager Steve Salhany are exploring ways I might continue as part of the NewsTalk 1080 family.

As for what's next, I will be hosting a new weekly series called Connecticut on the Road with Connecticut Public Television in 2009. The series is slated to air in late spring. I plan to continue projects based on Positively Connecticut which I originated during the 16 years I anchored and reported the news at WTNH-TV. Positively Connecticut has spawned four books, published by the Globe Pequot Press, and I am working on a fifth. I have several other projects underway through my company Diane Smith Media. Most of all, I hope to find new ways to continue my unofficial role as a goodwill ambassador for Connecticut.

I hope you'll keep in touch. I can be reached ... at dianesmithmedia@yahoo.com


  • Rick Green Blog


  • Susan Campbell Blog


  • Shelly Sindland Blog


  • Don Pesci Blog


  • Dean Pagani Blog


  • Caterwauled


  • Nutmeg Grater


  • Connecticut Bob


  • Down In The Hollow


  • Roger Catlin Blog


  • Orient Lodge


  • Positively Connecticut


  • Colin's Blog


  • WTIC FAKE Radio
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Very disappointing. I never listened to the morning show on WTIC would I would often try to listen to Colin's show in the afternoon.