Wednesday, June 08, 2011

CT Young Writers Trust Salutes Latino Poets & Writers

  • Young Writers Trust Website Hosted By CSU System


  • RSVP Frenzy, Suspense Build As 30 Young Poets And Writers Vie For Cash, Affirmation



  • Pamela, Melanie, seated, with Laura, Freddy, Veronica, Sammy

    Photos by BOB THIESFIELD
    For The CT Young Writers Trust


    CT Young Writers Trust board member Sammy Vega, the paralegal and former 5-time national amateur boxing champion, collaborated with three talented poets to tape an upcoming segment of El Show de Analeh for Channel 18 Univision and Telefutura at the Hartford Public Library Tuesday.

    The three poets -- Melanie Torres, Pamela Hernandez and Laura Adames -- will be special guests of The Trust Saturday for the CT Young Writers 14th Annual Celebration at Central Connecticut State University.

  • JAZZ/ R&B/ LATIN ROCK LIVE SATURDAY 6-11-11 @CCSU THE JEN ALLEN BIG BAND COSMIC JIBAROS AS ONE FEATURING DOMINIQUE


  • "I am so proud of their talent," said Analeh Alfaro, producer and host for Univision's El Show de Analeh. "I hope that the CT Young Writers organization can continue to live so that young writers like Melanie, Pamela and Laura can accomplish their dreams."

    The Analeh Youth Segment Hosts are Freddy Escudero and Veronica Velez.


    Veronica Introduces Melanie

    Air date for the broadcast this summer - also featuring adult writers - will be announced.

  • Inside The Analeh Show


  • SHORT BIOS
    OF YOUNG LATINO POETS


    Melanie Torres Latorre, 18, is from Morovis, Puerto Rico.

    I came to Connecticut in the 2008. I went to school in Bridgeport for five months and then I came to Litchfield and I live in Bantam.

    I will go to Northwestern Connecticut Community College in the fall. I think I will major in Computer Engineering although writing is a true passion of mine.

    *

    Hi, my name is Pamela Hernandez. I'm 16 years old and a junior at the Law & Government Academy at Hartford Public High School.

    I was born and raised in Caguas, Puerto Rico. We moved to Hartford in 1999.

    My interest as a writer began in 7th grade while attending Quirk Middle School in Hartford. I've been writing ever since. My poetry reflects certain emotional phases and struggles that occur on a daily basis. A poem that will always stay with me is "RI.P." I dedicated this poem to my grandfather after he had passed away.

    As years go by, my days are filled with agony knowing that you're not here to see what's happening.

    Dirt puddles turn into clouds and the sun becomes a moon that's how you can tell that your death has taken my life out of tune


    I was proud to become a part of the Poetry Out Loud program the fall of my junior year. My teacher, Mrs. Donna Frustere, was a great help. She allowed me to see poetry through different eyes.

    Later in the year I participated in the State Preliminary Competition for Poetry Out Loud at Classical Magnet School. There I recited a piece by Jimmy Baca Santiago, "Who Understands Me But Me." This great opportunity helped me work on my public speaking.

    A lot of people inspire me. My culture is the most significant inspiration in my life, which includes people like my family, friends and community.

    My future plans are to finish high school and go off to college to study to be a mortician. Poetry to me is a connection between life and death: It's similarities and it's differences and how they intertwine.

    *

    Born and raised in the Dominican Republic, Laura Adames came to the United States when she was 10 years old.

    From a very early age she engaged in singing at her church back at home, and this passion continued throughout the course of her life. She found a passion for poetry, and she learned to incorporate poetry in her songs, to make meaningful music.

    She is greatly influenced by neo-soul, hip-hop & R&B, jazz, merengue. Her favorite Spanish artist is Juan Luis Guerra, whom she hopes to work with some time during her career. She currently enjoys listening to Juan Luis Guerra, Erykah Badu, Bilal Salaam, Rita Indiana, Alejandro Sanz, Rocio Durcal, Buika, Bebo & Cigala, and many others.

    She writes short stories, poems, and songs and she hopes to use art as a tool to speak for the oppressed and those she feels have no voice.


    Sammy Vega Sets Up The Show With Youth Host Freddy Escudero


    Melanie Torres Goes Over Last-Minute Details With Veronica, Ana


    Showtime!


    Hola Audiencia

  • ~!@#$%^&* Zap Pow Kaboom: Daily Paper Posts 15 Poems




  • Young Writers Trust Website Hosted By CSU System


  • Ct Young Writers Trust Facebook Page


  • Twitter@CtYoungWriters


  • CT Young Writers Trust Website [In Development]


  • twitter@cooljustice





  • CT Young Writers Trust
    390 Shore Drive, Branford CT 06405

    RAVI SHANKAR
    Chairman, shankarr@mail.ccsu.edu,
    860-938-2139

    RON WINTER
    Executive Director, hjrwinter@comcast.net,
    860-228-6803

    CAROL THIBEAULT
    Administrator, ctbeau@yahoo.com, 203-843-1423

    ATTY WILLIAM CROWE
    Legal Counsel, wcrowe@mayocrowe.com,
    860-275-6801

    ANDY THIBAULT
    Chairman Emeritus, tntcomm82@cs.com,
    860-690-0211

    No comments: