click on images for better viewing
Thirteen years before a young man was crowned prom queen at Danbury High School, certain faculty suppressed an award-winning short story for its homosexual content.
Candi Deschamps, now a teacher, most certainly was a pathfinder for 2014 prom queen Nasir Fleming and others who have been squeezed into the margins of society.
Fleming made national news last week as 600 fellow students cheered his election and crowning and the current principal took it all in stride. Deschamps as a high school senior refused to make changes in her 2001 short story, “Tragedy of a David Cassidy Clone,” which was rejected by the school literary magazine.
Rand Cooper, writing for Fairfield County Magazine in 2001, called “Tragedy of a David Cassidy Clone” a “wildly inventive story” set in Manhattan.
“There was a whole drama surrounding the story,” Deschamps told Cooper ...
Blast from the past & June 8 preview
Musical Finale, 11th Annual Dinner,
Young Writers Competition, June 2008, Litchfield Inn
17th Annual Connecticut Young Writers Finalists -- (State Champion[s] to be named on Sunday, June 8th at CCSU)
1) Alicia Kiley, Greenwich Academy (Greenwich)
2) Matt Maguda, Rockville High School (Vernon)
3) Mallory Chabre, Rockville High School (Vernon)
4) Rhian Elizabeth Lewis Westover School (Middelbury)
5) James Gilbert, Newtown High School (Newtown)
6) Hannah Hudson, Westover School (Middelbury)
7) Gabrielle Cianciolo, Torrington High School (Torrington)
8) Jessica Conway, Jameson Wooster School (Danbury)
9) Heaven Stone, Arts at the Capitol Theater(Willimantic)
10) Kylie Kearney, Rockville High School (Vernon)
1) Anna Whalon, Killingly High School (Dayville)
2) Hannah C. Hokanson, Manchester High School(Manchester)
3) Taylor Fournier, Rockville High School (Vernon)
4) Rachel Horowitz-Benoit, Edwin O. Smith High School(Storrs)
5) Jennifer Shook, Kingswood Oxford School (West Hartford)
6) Katherine Franqueira, Immaculate High School (Danbury)
7) Samantha Sheppard, Staples High School (Westport)
8) Joan Miller, Montville High School (Oakdale)
9) Greta W. Westfall, Home Schooled (Manchester)
10) Jonathan Dowst, Manchester High School(Manchester)
11) Lulu A Hedstrom, Greenwich Academy (Greenwich)
12) Selena West, The Gilbert School (Winsted)
More blasts from the past .... Bob Thiesfield photos
SLIDING INTO THE HARTFORD CLUB
West Safe @ Home; Crowd Cheers
Timothy "Austin" West, the Rockville High School poet and pitcher, accepts congratulations from Master of Ceremonies Diane Smith and CSU System Vice Chancellor Louise Feroe during the CT Young Writers 13th Annual Celebration June 3, 2010 at The Hartford Club. West was honored as Tolland County Poetry Champion and as a state finalist. Earlier that day, he pitched and lost a close decision in a state Class L championship game.
Patricia Smith at poetry workshop @CCSU, 2011
Charlotte Crowe, ’05 state prose champ who interned at The New Yorker, was a keynote speaker in 2011.
2010 Keynote Speaker Bob Leuci, retired NYPD Detective, Novelist and URI Prof, co-workshop leader.
2010 Hartford County Poetry Champion Morgan Finn with parents Martin and Christina Finn.